Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Level Playing Field

From commercials to social media, I’m being bombarded with the idea that women aren’t equal to men in our country, that we’ve grown up being treated poorly, that we’re victims. But. I’m a woman, and this confuses me. Because I’ve never felt like society had it in for me. I’ve never been told I was a second rate citizen by employers or the government. I’ve not been treated as garbage, like I’m being told I have.

I have the right to vote, the right to own a home, the right to walk down the street without covering my face. I’m allowed to work, to go to school, to own a gun. I literally have exactly the same rights as my husband, a “privileged white male.” 

I don’t feel downtrodden or discouraged. I feel empowered, I have the freedom to do anything with my life, as long as I put in the work to earn it. And before anyone stereotypes, I was not raised in privilege. I have always had a loving family, but things haven’t always been easy for us. We’ve gone without…more times than I can remember. I’ve worked for everything I have, my vehicle, my education, my home.

To be fair, there are a lot of men out there that make a higher income than myself. Men that don’t have the same education I do. But that’s because they’re doing physical labor, something I would not be able to do as well as them. It’s just a fact of life that men are physically stronger than women. There’s no arguing that. Physical jobs are difficult, and I firmly believe that the employees who put in so much effort at these jobs deserve to be compensated accordingly. Even so, there are still women that work at these places of physical labor, and I would say they probably have to work harder than the men to keep up. If a woman is able to keep up with a man at a labor intensive job, then she should certainly be compensated the same! But, for the most part, women aren’t able to do as much heavy lifting, and should probably not be paid as much as their male counterparts.

On the flip side, let’s talk about a job within an office that requires college and experience. I know that if I were to go up for a job against a Caucasian man with exactly the same qualifications and education as me, the job would be given to me, NOT the man. To me, that does seem like discrimination… but it seems like discrimination against the man. Employers and the government are SO afraid of offending us, they make sure to hold us in a higher regard than men.

I think it’s important that all people in our country feel valued and equal, but I believe that in some situations, we’ve tipped the scales too far and have turned the discrimination against the white men that formerly “oppressed” us.

There’s equality, and then there’s hypocrisy. Reverse discrimination is hypocrisy at it’s finest.

There’s a lot of unrest in the world, maybe we should focus on helping women in countries with a culture of extreme sexism before we throw a fit about not having as nice a chair as some guy we work with.

Always

Jaci

No comments:

Post a Comment