Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Generation of Entitlement

It's been quite the week, hasn't it? So much change in our country. I've seen a lot of things on social media that have really gotten under my skin. I know I'm not the only one. But what really bothers me is the way some people to respond to controversy. Anger, aggression, abuse. None of these are a healthy response. What concerns me the most, is that the majority
of these harmful reactions are coming from people my age or younger.

We are a generation so used to getting our way, we don't know how to cope when we don't. We complain and moan, hyperventilate and throw things. We generally throw a big old hissy fit. Somehow, this is how our generation was taught to act. It's not ok. Why? Because, just think about it. What are we teaching future generations? That if things don't go our way, just go ahead and throw a tantrum, that'll fix everything? Unacceptable.

It's time to grow up, put our big kid pants on, and realize that sometimes the world doesn't follow our demands. We need to set an example.

I've been in my fair share of disagreements. I know what it's like to be convinced of my own infallibility. And sure sometimes, the other person probably isn't right. But guess what? My opinion isn't always free of error either. There's probably some happy medium somewhere that nobody has found, because humanity as a whole is flawed. And we will always be that way. We can argue our side until our tongues fall out, but our stubbornness will never change the fact that we're wrong a high percentage of the time.

If we don't stop in our tracks and make a change somewhere, we are going to self destruct. The first step is to find a constructive outlet for our frustration. Riots are NOT the answer, people! Shaming others is NOT an option! We need to grow up and get over ourselves. If you want to see a change in the world, make that change. Write up a revision to a law and submit it to your state government, start a charity to help the less fortunate, research jobs for the homeless, run for office, create positivity, inspire someone.

Standing around and complaining is worthless. Get out there and do something useful!

Always,

Jaci

No comments:

Post a Comment