Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Human Improvement


Photo: www.abintraphoto.com

A few weeks ago, I was doing some home improvement work on our new house. My do-it-yourself undertakings included spray painting some doorknobs. Turns out, spray painting metal takes some finesse. Finesse that I was not born with. My first try was a disaster. The paint basically looked like it was melting off of the knobs. The struggle was real. Not to be so easily defeated, I broke out some sandpaper and decided to try again. In the hours of grueling sandpapering that followed, I had a realization. Those knobs represented my life. Not because I'm "dumber than a doorknob," but because like them, I have to be refinished over and over and over again.

I screw up all of the time. Stupid little things, devastating big things. Mistake after mistake. I'm far from complete. I'm just one giant melty looking doorknob. Gross and untouchable.

But, also like those knobs, I can be refinished. It takes time, and hard work, but my messy life can once again be a thing of beauty. God is my craftsman. He takes the mistakes in my life and refines me  (Psalm 66:10). He uses my screw ups to make me new. He carefully scrapes off the residue of sin from my life and layers on a new coat of grace.

The process isn't easy. It hurts to have your mistakes smoothed out and fixed. This refining often exposes your flaws, leaves you vulnerable in ways you'd never imagined possible. It's painful, but it's worth it.

God is doing what is best for us. He takes an area of life where we fail, and he slowly changes that area into something that glorifies Him. He takes our ugly and makes it ok. He brings beauty from ashes (Isaiah 61:3).

In the end, we can be His masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10). Through the fire and pressure, we come out a glorious new creature. Flawless in His eyes because of the sacrifices of His Son. To the world, we might not seem perfect (just like my doorknobs). They can still see our flaws, our painful blemishes. But in the eyes of the Master Craftsman, we are spotless and forgiven, pure and whole.

Welcome the sandpaper into your life, in time it will heal your soul.

Always,

Jackelyn Stange

No comments:

Post a Comment