Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I Surrender All

Photo: Erika Thorness

Remember when your head was filled with bright, wonderful dreams for your future? When the world was this great big place filled with possibility? You could do anything, be anything. Your whole life was laid out in front of you. Did life bring you the wild and wonderful desires of your heart? Or did it deliver you into a reality filled with ups and downs? 

Don't fret. You still have time. Too many people dwell on the past, on what they could have been, what they gave up. Some people try to re-live that past, to be young again.They submit themselves to surgery, start partying like a college student, lose themselves in romantic flings. 

Don't get trapped in wishing for what could have been. It could kill you, literally. Dissatisfaction with your present situation can send you into a dark place of no return. Whether it be depression, drugs, drinking, it can consume your life. Trust me.

It's never too late to take a hold of your life and allow yourself to find joy in your present circumstances. So maybe you don't work from home, like you always dreamed you would. Maybe you can't have kids, no matter how hard you try. Maybe the responsibility of adulthood feels like too much to bear. All it takes to find peace with the present is surrendering your circumstances to God. This action is so hard sometimes. Developing an attitude of surrender takes practice and patience. It takes determination. But if you truly desire to be happy, only you can make the choice.

Why give it to God? Because He wants to take care of you, He loves you, and He says to cast your problems on Him (1 Peter 5:7). You can trust Him. You can trust Him more than you can trust anyone on this earth, including yourself. Sometimes, the things that your brain and heart tell you to do are the dumbest things you could possibly do. When you surrender your life to Jesus and follow His Will for your life, you can't go wrong. The path He has for you is perfect. It's exactly what your brain and heart need (Jeremiah 29:11-apparently I really like this verse, I use it a lot).

I defer to a selected few stanzas of an old classic:

All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

Always,

Jackelyn Stange

No comments:

Post a Comment