Thursday, March 19, 2015

Dare To Be Different


Photo Credit: Pinterest

Life is strange. It has so many twists and turns, so many different paths. Keeping up with it makes us all a little crazy. Anyone in their right mind is going to eventually lose their mind. It's inevitable, why not embrace it?

Too many people are so obsessed with being "normal." It sounds bogus to me. What kind of fun can you have spending hours preening in front of the mirror to attain perfect hair and makeup? How stressful it must be to worry constantly about what you say, afraid people might find you strange.

We're created to be different from each other, no two people are exactly the same (1 Corinthians 12:12-25). We all have unique abilities, strengths, and personalities. Embrace those differences. Be proud of who you are. Don't let social norms hold you back. Be the person that God created you to be. He has a plan for you (Jeremiah 1:5), He has placed a calling on your life. Don't let that go to waste, simply because you are afraid of what other people might think of you. Who cares about what those people think? Do they know your heart? No!

A Stepford world—in which everyone you meet is the same as everyone else you already know—sounds outrageously boring to me. We weren't meant to be cookie-cutter people, we were meant to be individuals.

It's hard, as women, not to compare ourselves to other women. I'll admit, the "perfect" ladies out there make me uncomfortable. I have one girl out there that I've known for quite some time that never ceases to disrupt my mental health. She's one of those that is always very polished looking, professionally dressed, super skinny, heavily made up, etc. She's educated, has a career, flirts with the men I date, so on and so forth. This kind of stuff gets under my skin a bit. Here I am, wearing sweat pants, rocking the unwashed hair, trying to lose a few pounds. I often feel my insecurities bubbling to the surface when she is around.

But I have to ask myself. Why does she spend so much time and energy on her perfection? What on God's green earth could drive someone to that level of self-sculpting? Insecurity. The very thing that she instills in me. She is so darn insecure, she has to prove to the world that she is Super Woman. What a concept!

The people who try so hard to pretend that there isn't anything weird or abnormal about them are doing so because of how little they think of themselves. They don't have enough self-confidence to simply be themselves, so they have to imitate what they think society expects from an ideal woman. They're incapable of letting it all hang loose. They just can't do it.

Don't be that woman. Don't be conformed to this world (Romans 12:2). Don't focus on what society says about you. Be different. Be unique. Be FUN! Nobody wants to be friends with the "perfect" version of you, everyone wants to be friends with the "real" you.

Always,

Jackelyn Stange

No comments:

Post a Comment