Friday, January 2, 2015

The Best Kind Of Friend

Have you ever had a friend that made you uncomfortable? Not because they didn't understand the concept of personal space, but because their presence occasionally made you feel guilty about your choices? Have you ever stopped to think about why they might make you feel that way? Maybe it's because you're doing something that you shouldn't be.

I remember a few years ago, I went out on the town for the first time in ages. A few days later, my friend Brook told me that one of her friends had seen me out and drunk. I lied to Brook at the time, telling her I'd only had one drink. I was so embarrassed. Not only did Brook find out, but she actually had the gall to ASK ME ABOUT IT. Turns out, it was the best thing she could have done. That was the last time I drank that much.

Friends who aren't afraid to point out the sin in your life are the best friends to have. They help you stay on track, help you to refocus on what is truly important. Don't push them away just because they make you uncomfortable. Use that discomfort to discover an area in your life that needs change.

Sometimes close friends don't even need to say anything, their simple presence makes you feel guilty about your actions. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with your friend, or that you need to spend less time with them, or quit sharing your personal life with them. It means that your conscience is speaking to you. It's God's way of knocking on your skull and saying, "Hey. That thing you're doing? Stop it."

Find friends who will let things get awkward in order to keep you accountable. They will end up being some of the most godly influences in your life. You won't regret it, in the long run.

"How long would you hate me if I told you the truth? I don't want to see you hurt anymore." -The Birdsongs, This Isn't Love

Always,

Jackelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment