Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Let’s Talk About Pride, Baby

It gets in the way. It skews our idea of ourselves and others. It’s a problem that so many of us face. We get so caught up in ourselves, our own problems, our lives – that we forget about everyone else. We think that we are the only people on the planet worth anyone’s time. I remember when I was a teenager my mom would always tell me, “The world doesn’t revolve around you, Jaci.” My response? “My world does!” Hmm. Mature.

Years have passed, things have changed. But I still catch myself having prideful hissy fits over and over and over and over. Some things never change. In my mind, I deserve more praise than I get, more money than I earn, more responsibility than I am given. In my pride-induced state, I am queen of the world. Reality check. What good do my moments of enraged pride do? Does this behavior do anything besides harm? I think not. This pride problem causes division in church, work and home. I think I know more than everyone else, so when they question my ideas, I lash out bitterly. That’s not ok. Who am I to think that I might be better than ANYONE else on this planet? God created us all equal. He loves each and every one of us. Nothing about me is any more amazing than anyone else. I simply have different skill sets than others. Just because I’m a unique individual does not mean I am a superior individual.

Take King Nebuchadnezzar, for instance, the man had everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Everything that our society tells us is what we “need”. He had the most money, the swankest parties, the biggest tv, the classiest beach house, etc. He let his pride get in the way. He basically considered himself a god, and let everyone know. So he was brought down. He lived like an animal, he lost his mind. (For more on this guy, read the first four chapters of Daniel – they’re as intense as a Lord of the Rings marathon.)

I don’t want to be like Neb. I want to learn my lesson from his experiences, rather than having to go through the crazy myself. I need to learn balance. How to be reliable and dependable, without getting an ego when people start to rely and depend on me. How to realize that other people have other skills and serve in other ways. How to know that someone else is more qualified than me, and not get bitter about it. How to acknowledge that everything I have, everything I am is a gift from God and has nothing to do with my own abilities.

Kanye’s doctrine might be:
I just talked to Jesus
He said, “What up Yeezus?”
I said, “S*** I’m chilling
Trying to stack these millions.”
I know he the most high
But I am a close high
I am a god

But mine is:
I just talked to Jesus
He said, “Be my witness.”
I said, “I’m just a Christian
Trying to reach these millions.”
He is the most high,
And I can’t deny
You are my God.

Decided to have a little fun with that! J

Always,
Jaci

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jaci....I appreciate how you are so willing to bare your soul with us. Funny thing, I was just thinking about ole Nebby the other day. How he prowled around like/as an animal until he came to his senses. When we act like animals we are not in our right mind. Now there's a sermon. Did we every share the little joke Jerome and I had about you.....How many Jaci's does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, the world revolves around her. You can guess who came up with that can't you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you are feeling, and we all do this. Good for you for taking it upon yourself to make it better. I am proud of you Jaci and the woman you are becoming. I am having my kids read this and understand how they can seem this way at times to. I know I can be. Your faith is a powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete