Saturday, August 17, 2013

Through Thick And Thin

A lot has happened in this past year. A lot of good. A whole heck of a lot of difficult. But it's amazing to look back and see all of the wonderful people that God has placed in my life to help me through. Whether it was friends who gave me stuffed animals, flowers and hugs in the many times of mourning. An amazing mother to call and pour my heart out to. Friends who dropped everything to come be with me when I was sick. A roommate who saw me depressed, called in sick, got me ice cream and Channing Tatum movies. Someone who held me close while I cried over the distance of my family. Or even the people who just made me laugh, told me God has plans for me, high fived me at church, made my life a beautiful place. I've had so many selfless, supportive people by my side. I just want to say thank you. To all of you. I love you all so much, and I'm so lucky to have you in my life.

These people are an amazing example of what God wants for us: to love our neighbors. Everyone goes through stuff. We all have our struggles, our pain. That's why we need each other. We need to be the kind of friends who are there when nobody else will be. Not like Job's friends, like Daniel's friends. When things started going bad in Job's life, his friends turned away and mocked him. They stabbed him in the back and dug the knife deeper. On the opposite end of the spectrum, when Daniel and his friends found themselves in the worst situation of their lives? They stuck together. They followed God wholeheartedly, and when they were on the verge of being killed for their beliefs-they endured.

No matter what is going on in someone's life, they need someone to stand by them and be there for them. They need real friends. Loving your neighbor isn't simply being polite to the people you don't like. It's being genuine and real, willing to look past differences and see the plans God has for both of you. Don't be a faker. Be a true friend. God will bless you. Even if you don't see it now. Don't let selfishness get in the way of His plans. Love your neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment