Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Just A Bunch Of Junk

Stuff. We, as Americans, have a LOT of stuff. We put so much pride in our possessions. Everybody has something they find valuable on this earth. Some of us more than others. I, personally, have a lot of things. Things I don't need. Things I would have a hard time giving up. I love my clothes, my shoes, my furniture, my car. My love for those things is prideful. I love them, because I love how they impress other people. I love when somebody gets into my car and says, "Wow, this is pretty nice!" or looks at my outfit and says, "You look cute today!" I love these things because they give my selfish heart a rush. Ever hear the phrase, "Pride goes before a fall"? Yeah, pretty much setting myself up to crash and burn (Proverbs 16:18).

We can't take it with us. What good is all of this junk going to do when we die? It will stay on earth, get divided up, given away, sold, become a big old hassle for our loved ones to deal with, etc. Everything of this world that we could ever gain is utterly meaningless in eternity (Ecclesiates 2:11). We aren't to waste our time stock piling riches on earth, we are to fix our eyes Heavenward and build up treasures for eternity (Matthew 6:19-20). 

How do we do that? Invest our time and resources on PEOPLE, not OBJECTS. Human beings are the only things we can take with us to Heaven. If we pour ourselves into lost souls, we can help them find their way into the arms of Jesus. Shouldn't that be our focus in life? To direct our friends and family to Heaven, to ensure that we will spend eternity with them? What's a pair of new shoes (even if they are beautiful blue suede platform wedges) compared to a loved one (or even stranger) gaining eternal life??? Possessions won't last into eternity, most of them don't even last our lifetime. Don't waste your time loving objects (1 John 2:15-17). We are called to love people  (John 13: 34-35). 

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed- never throw out anyone." -Audrey Hepburn

Always,
Jaci

3 comments:

  1. Perfectly said! Some of us need to be reminded of the valueless-ness of material things DAILY.
    PS and by the way, Pride goeth before distruction an haughty spirit before a fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Love you, mom! Did you notice I referenced the same verse you PSed to me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. That is why I wrote it. (shhhhh, you miss quoted it).

      Delete