Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Truth and Equality

Something on Facebook caught my eye tonight. An acquaintance of mine posted the following: When Christians stop being judgmental...there will be true Equality. Until then...let the hypocrisy roar! -Signed by a Christ Follower.

Well that's interesting. As a Christ follower myself, I believe the Bible. I believe that everything that the Bible says is Truth, God-breathed. That being said, there are some activities that God says are sin: murder (Exodus 20:13), drunkenness (Isaiah 5:11), homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:26-27), divorce (Mark 10:2-12), hate (1 John 3:15), theft (Exodus 20:15), and a whole lot more. I believe I've said this before...SIN IS SIN...no ifs, ands or buts about it. No matter how much people scream and cry about how their particular sin should be tolerated. It's still sin.

An important thing to recognize here, we ALL SIN (Romans 3:23). My lies and arrogance are just as sinful as the next person's hate and sexual promiscuity. We are instructed to love one another (Romans 13:9), not to hate those whose sins are different than ours. Personally, I hate sin, not people. (May I just throw in for good measure that I am friends with a murderer, many homosexuals, alcoholics, divorced people, etc... and I LOVE them just as much as I LOVE any other friend of mine.) Those who are not saved are lost in their sin, it is our job to encourage them, love them, and bring them to the One who can help them out of the mire. Only then can they break free from the sins that bind them.

On the other hand, Christians who openly stew in their sin, or support those who blatantly show their sins to the world, are basically slapping God across the face and saying, "I know better than you do." To encourage and love those who are lost in their sin is one thing, but Christians should know better than to participate unrepentantly in these sinful activities. If a Christian gives in to their sinful desires and does not repent, we are to treat them as an unbeliever (1 Corinthians 5:11).

 Again I say: sin is sin. We are all weak and fleshly, and to give in to temptation and repent with a remorseful heart is one thing. To openly participate in or support someone else's sinful habits is another.

Always (in love),

Jaci

6 comments:

  1. Everything that The Bible says being truth, God-breathed, are any of your clothes made of blended fibers?

    That also happens to be in Leviticus, and by purchasing such clothing or gifting it to friends, one would be participating in or supporting sinful habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the old testiment is wiped out law wise by the Blood of Christ

      Delete
    2. It is my belief that the blood of Christ made it possible for all humankind have a hope for eternity without requiring perfection and/or animal sacrifices. I do believe that the Old Testament has priciples and precepts that every Christian should take into account in their daily lives. Leviticus 19:19 does instruct followers of God to avoid wearing certain materials of blended fiber. More specifically, the original translation uses the word "shaatnez" which refers to a combination of linen and wool. As far as I know, none of my clothing has those particular fibers combined. :) http://opentheword.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213:dont-mix-wool-with-linen&catid=38:bible-verified&Itemid=135 I don't know if that link will work, but that particular page has a scientific explanation of why God might have issued that decree to His people.

      Delete
    3. Also, side note. I cited the Old Testament for: murder, drunkeness, and theft. I cited BOTH the Old and New Testament for homosexuality, and cited the New Testament for divorce and hate. All of these sinful behaviors can be found in both the Old and New Testament, I was simply trying to use references in a variety of locations in hopes that readers would spend some time in the Word. :)

      Delete
  2. Jaci, I have known Becky and Jeff for what feels like forever. I believe "hate the sin; LOVE the person" which is basically what you said. I believe Homosexuality is scientific and those who practice it cannot change it. Medical science and God hold hands is another phrase of mine. Ask Becky more about why I say this or read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly is what I was going for! Though I didn't want to pull the cliche out and throw it in my blog ;) I will probably read your blog! Though I don't agree with the believe that homosexuality is scientific, I am always interested in other people's points of view. Having friends who have strugged with homosexual thoughts and tendencies, I do believe that all humans have it in them to struggle with all sins. The choice is in acting upon those sins. BUT! We are all entitled to our own opinions, and the beautiful thing about this country is the ability to freely express those opinions! :)

      Delete