Monday, January 28, 2013

Our Time Is Now

Contentment. It's something almost everyone I know struggles with. As humans, we have such a hard time simply sitting back and being satisfied with the season of life God has placed us in at this point. So many single people (including myself at times, I admit) have such a hard time finding joy and purpose in being single. They want someone to share their lives with. Granted. That's not a BAD thing to want, but if it distracts from what God wants you to be doing with your life, then it's wrong. Once married, so many people want kids. Once they have kids, they want them to be in school so they can have more free time. Once in school, they want their kids to be out of the house so they can retire and enjoy life. Once the kids are grown up, they want grandkids. Etc, etc, so on and so forth. Why is it so hard to simply be satisfied? Discontentment is a weed, once sprouted, it grows and grows and spreads and chokes out the joy in life. It causes us to spend all of our time commiserating on what we DON'T have rather than rejoicing in what we do!

Don't be an overgrown garden. Stop the weeds before they take charge.

Some of us (*cough*me*cough*) don't like to face our problems. We spend all of our time finding activities to distract us from the work we need to do in our own lives. I'm busy. All of the time. I plan out my days, leaving very little free time. Leaving very little time to be one on one with God. I give myself a few minutes every night to read my Bible and pray, but the rest of the day I'm so caught up in everything I've planned, that I let Him sink into the background. Because if I have even a few minutes to just sit, with nothing to do, it's so much easier for loneliness to creep in. If I just learned to refocus my time alone from thinking about what I don't have (my family, some super rad man, etc) and started to thank God for what I DO have (amazing friends, a good job, a place to live, mad skills, etc.), I wouldn't have to be GO-GO-GO all of the time.

I even get so caught up in ALWAYS having something to do, that I don't realize what things might look like to the outside world. Like, sitting at a bar with a good friend. I might not be drunk, but that doesn't stop someone from seeing me and telling everyone about it. How does that look to people who expect me to live a holy life? "Well if Jaci can be out getting drunk all of the time, so can I!" Poor choice on my part. Far be it from me to willingly lead someone astray. Time to get a grip on my "need" to be busy all of the time. The more time I have alone, the more time I have to spend with God, the easier it is for Him to mold these areas of my life that need so much work.

I'm reading a book called The Resolution for Women. It's pretty fantastic. And eye opening. The very first resolution? "I do solemnly resolve to embrace my current season of life and will maximize my time in it. I will resist the urge to hurry through or circumvent any portion of my journey but will live with a spirit of contentment." Holy wake up call! It's time to start living life NOW, not living for the future or past! God wants us to stand up for Him no matter what is happening. If we are too focused on what we don't have, we won't be able to share what we do have: Jesus.

Be a light for Him today, in the life He has given.

Always,

Jaci

No comments:

Post a Comment